Sunday 15 November 2015

Courie In

Please not that Courie In is no longer available as a free pattern. However, it is available to purchase in an improved form with additional sizes and instructions for shorter versions and a version with three-quarter length sleeves. 


free chunky cardigan knitting pattern

"Courie in" is a Scottish phrase meaning to "snuggle up" - and it's the perfect name for this oversized, supremely warm, wrap front cardigan. This is a real winter warmer, ideal for nestling into with a mug of cocoa on a cold day. And it's so quick to knit! This cardigan has a slightly unusual construction. Sleeves are knitted first from cuff to centre back, then both sleeves are joined with a three needle bind off. Stitches are picked up at the bottom edge from armpit to armpit and worked down to the hem to form the back. Then stitches are picked up round the front to form the garter stitch wrap front.


free cardigan knitting pattern

Here are the details:

Yarn: Cloudborn Fibers Superwash Merino Bulky in Heather Grey. 6 (7, 9, 10, 12, 14, 15) skeins = 654 (763, 981, 1090, 1308, 1526, 1635) yards
Dimensions 
To fit bust: 30-32 (34-36, 38-40, 42-44, 46-48, 50-52, 54-56)” Across back: 15 (17, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27)” 
Sleeve length: 15 (16, 17, 17.5, 18.5, 18.5, 19.5)” 
Upper arm circumference: 12.5 (13, 14, 14.5, 16, 17, 17.5)” 
Length armpit to hem: 14.5 (15.5, 16.5, 17.5, 18.5, 19.5, 20.5)”
Needles: 100cm/40” 8mm/US11 circular needle, 8mm/US11 dpns if you wish to avoid using “magic loop”.
Gauge: 10sts x 17 rows = 4” in Double Moss Stitch after blocking. Note that the weight of the cardigan whilst damp will cause it to stretch out more than a small swatch will.
Extras: Crochet hook for weaving in loose ends, stitch markers.


It's available to download on Ravelry and Craftsy

17 comments:

  1. I'm rather embarrassed. I dropped a message a few days ago about substituting alpaca arn for this pattern. This was on ravelry. I have only been on e site a few short times; I find it confusing. Anyway, I left the message and then couldn't find it again to see if you had answered. Any of this familiar? Or should I begin from the beginning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, really sorry but I haven't received any messages about this on Ravelry! If you let me know your question here I can certainly answer it.

      Substituting alpaca yarn should be fine if you get the same gauge as in the pattern!

      Very best,
      Dot

      Delete
  2. It's beautiful. What a great idea to make your sweater this way. Very well done. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it and thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  3. I am fairly new to knitting could I knit this sweater? I'm concerned about the 3 needle pick up,but I do know the magic loop.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for your question! I would recommend having a look at youtube tutorials for the three needle bind off. It's not as hard as it sounds!

      Delete
  4. I watched how to do the 3 needle pick up on you tube and I think I can manage it ok from watching the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! It's not as bad as it sounds - I'm sure you could manage it. And if you get stuck, you can always ask questions here! :D

      Delete
  5. I live in Kenya and have very limited access to wool although I can get it from the UK. What would this be equivalent to in the UK. It liiks lively and I would lije to try it. I can get chunky wool here in Kenya. Pls advise. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in Kenya and have very limited access to wool although I can get it from the UK. What would this be equivalent to in the UK. It liiks lively and I would lije to try it. I can get chunky wool here in Kenya. Pls advise. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in Kenya and have very limited access to wool although I can get it from the UK. What would this be equivalent to in the UK. It liiks lively and I would lije to try it. I can get chunky wool here in Kenya. Pls advise. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for your question. As long as it has the same gauge you should be fine! I had a quick search and some yarns with the same gauge as the cloudborn yarn were: Debbie Bliss Paloma, Berroco Peruvia Quick and Lang Yarns Merino 50. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  8. I have question. In the top of your post, you write that your knitting pattern is free. But when I follow your link to Ravelry it's not. It's not that I don't want to pay for the pattern. I know it's takes a long time to design a knitting pattern. I was just wondering since I get two different informations.

    Best regards,
    Annemari Kjær

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's free on craftsy, if you look on ravelry it says "buy it now" or "visit the pattern website". That will take you to craftsy where it is free.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much!! you are very generous! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i got an email today (dec 10,2016) from free knitting patterns knitpicks...it is in the list of free patterns and says it is free.. now i have to pay for it?? i love the pattern but cannot afford to purchase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, it was free for a year as publicity for a new yarn company. It's a pay for pattern now - knitting pattern designers have bills to pay too! :)

      Really sorry if a third party is sending emails saying it's free, I have no control over that I'm afraid.

      Delete